Clopay Sectional Garage Door Installation
*Steel Residential Garage Door Installation Instructions and Maintenance – 1 and 2 Layer Construction
Installing a Clopay residential sectional garage door is more than just a task—it’s an essential step to ensure the safety, durability, and optimal function of one of your home’s primary access points. This manual delves into a detailed, step-by-step standard operating procedure (SOP) designed to guide both seasoned professionals and committed DIY enthusiasts. From the critical safety precautions to the nuances of track assembly, we’ve covered every aspect of the installation process. Before diving into the procedure, take a moment to familiarize yourself with the content to make the most of this comprehensive guide.
- Read all safety warnings and installation instructions thoroughly.
- Use proper protective gear such as gloves, safety goggles, hard hat.
- Use assistants for heavy lifting and to stabilize the door during installation. Sectional doors can weigh over 500 lbs.
- Make sure area under and around door opening is clear of obstructions.
- Do not attempt to remove or adjust springs, cables or bottom brackets while under tension.
Checking Opening Requirements:
- Verify rough opening height and width allows required clearance space above and around door opening. Rough opening should equal door size.
- Check minimum headroom space needed above top of opening: 12″ for 12″ radius track, 14″ for 15″ radius track.
- Check for minimum 4.5″ side clearance on each side of opening for torsion spring attachment.
- Check for minimum 18″ backroom space from back of opening into garage interior.
Removing Existing Door:
- Raise existing door and clamp tracks to stabilize door sections. This releases spring tension.
- For torsion spring doors, have qualified technician remove springs first before disassembling door.
- For extension springs, detach and remove springs, cables and hardware before disassembling door.
- Starting with top section, unstack and remove door sections one at a time.
- Remove existing horizontal tracks along with any rear track hangers that will not be reused.
Preparing the Opening:
- Install new jambs if rough opening framing is damaged or rotten. Jambs should be plumb and header level.
- Install stop molding around edges of opening, flush with framing.
- Verify jamb bolts are recessed enough to allow tracks to be mounted flush against framing.
Bottom Section Preparation:
- Identify bottom section – will have weatherseal retaining flap on bottom edge.
- Place section on covered sawhorses face down.
- By hand, break apart and attach bottom brackets to section ends with tabs engaged.
- Attach lift cables to bottom bracket buttons (extension spring doors only).
- Attach hinges to pre-punched holes, securing with screws. Add struts if needed.
- Install lift handles on bottom section. And lock section if no lock installed.
Stacking and Securing Sections:
- Stack sections in proper order according to size charts. Use alignment labels.
- Place bottom section in opening. Level and secure jamb nails through section ends.
- Stack remaining sections, driving securing nails through section ends.
- Attach hinges between sections, securing with screws.
- Install rollers into hinges at ends of each section.
Reinforcing Top Section:
- Reinforce top section to provide attachment point for opener reinforcement bracket.
- Follow installation instructions to add provided steel reinforcement brackets or hardware.
Vertical Track Assembly:
- Attach track brackets to vertical tracks, spacing per size charts provided. Leave loose.
- Mount vertical tracks over rollers, about 1/2″ from door edge. Do not force tight.
- Mark and pre-drill holes for lag screws through flag brackets into jambs.
- Attach flag brackets to tracks with bolts/nuts. Attach to jambs and tighten all hardware.
- Check vertical track alignment and level on both sides of door opening.
Horizontal Track and Rear Hangers:
- Assemble curved and straight horizontal tracks together with hardware.
- Attach angle mount to horizontal track using track bolts.
- Support rear of tracks temporarily with rope from trusses.
- Mount end of horizontal track to flag bracket, matching curve.
- Construct and mount rear track hangers to ceiling trusses using lag screws.
- Adjust top section and tighten track rollers so door is flush with framing.
Finish Installation Steps:
- Install locking mechanism or pull rope for manually operated doors.
- Install torsion or extension springs following supplemental instructions.
- Mount automatic opener rail and attach opener arm if applicable.
- Test operation and make any final adjustments needed.
- Provide maintenance and operation instructions to homeowner.